By standing together and pushing for better working conditions, Janitors in St. Louis, members of SEIU Local 1, made big wins in their union contract.
Due to their efforts these essential Janitors now have a contract that includes:
- A 26% increase to the minimum rate, from the state minimum wage of $11.15 to $14.00 by the end of the contract.
- Increases of $0.50, $0.60 and $1.00 for employees with 6 months of service who are above the minimum scale.
- Current Janitors will be earning at least $14.60 by January 1, 2025, and the vast majority of current employees will be above $15.00, by that date.
- Two additional sick days.
- Juneteenth as a paid holiday.
“After weeks of negotiations with management, we finally won a new contract that will support us and our families,” said Local 1 Janitor Marla Lacey. “Throughout the pandemic and beyond, my coworkers and I risked our health and safety to ensure our community stays safe yet many of us were making poverty-level wages. We came together, we fought for what we deserve, and we won. I am so proud of my coworkers and bargaining team for getting this contract across the finish line!”
These gains have set a new standard for their market and these Janitors will be able to continue to push for more in their next contract.